Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"

"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"by Edward Hopper, 1818-1888
1. Jesus, Savior, pilot me; Over life's tempestuous sea;Unknown waves before me roll,Hiding rock and treacherous shoal.Chart and compass come from Thee:Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
2. As a mother stills her child,Thou canst hush the ocean wild;Boisterous waves obey Thy willWhen Thou say'st to them, "Be still!"Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
3. When at last I near the shore,And the fearful breakers roar'Twixt me and the peaceful rest,Then, while leaning on Thy breast,May I hear Thee say to me,"Fear not, I will pilot thee."
Aren't those beautiful words? Adam and I are at a time in our lives where God is teaching us more than ever how to be dependent on Him and His provision. As we were singing this song in church this morning, the words "Chart and compass come from thee, Jesus Savior pilot me" spoke to me in a whole new way. Even though I know this, the fact that He IS the compass, He IS my direction, hit me head on. I felt a burden lifted off of me, and I was able to rest in His arms. I love the many ways that God speaks to us. And what a blessing to me, to be led in worship by my husband singing this song, knowing and believing with his whole heart the words of this song as he sang it back to his Jesus. And that second verse, "as a mother stills her child, He can calm the oceans wild," WOW. I picture rocking my babies in their room, the peace and serenity that I feel in that moment, and our powerful Creator sitting on His throne as He holds out his hand and turns the raging waters a lullaby of gently rocking waves. What a day! Thank you Jesus for reminding us, in so many little things, that you have all of this under control.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Taber, I've been looking for the exact title of this song for over a weeks now! We also sang this in church (2 weeks ago) and huge crocodile tears took over. Isn't crazy how we constantly try to take control over our lives when it's much easier to trust and give to God?! I'm praying for you guys! Love you!

P.S. John has worked pretty much EVERY Friday and Saturday b/c he will be leaving soon. We may have to postpone double dating a bit until life gets back or more to a normal. :) Can't wait though!